Journey of a Mom and her son with CAPD

Thursday, October 16, 2008 - - 0 Comments

I am a married mother of two beautiful children; a 6 year-old girl and an 8 year-old boy diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder named Zack. I have a Master’s degree in School Counseling, have worked as a guidance counselor, residential counselor with severely abused adolescent girls, a crisis counselor, and for the last 12 years as the manager of a dental office. To that list, I now add CAPD Community blogger.

I am creating this blog based on my experience that whenever I mention to someone that my son has CAPD/APD, the person knows or loves someone who is struggling with this disorder. These conversations usually last for 2 to 3 hours. Obviously, these people need to talk about their own experience with learning disabilities and be heard as much as I do.

Although I do have some counseling experience, I don’t come to this blog as an expert or as one who has had any great success in coping with how his disorder has affected my life and that of my family. I come as a mom who loves her son; a person who feels deeply and as someone who is dedicated to sharing what could easily be buried deep in my heart.

If these ideas resonate with you, please join me on this journey. I welcome comments and advice on what you read and see here. I, too, am here to learn. So, please share any information, resources, and/or helpful advice that you may have. Help me to create a cohesive community dedicated to helping us help ourselves and ultimately, our children and family deal with the challenges of living with APD.

This entry was posted on 4:43 PM and is filed under APD , CAPD , children , community , family . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: