Do school districts think that Auditory Processing Disorder is real?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 - - 0 Comments

To fight for services or not to fight? That is the question!!!

Even though Zack was diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder in December of last year, he receives no services from the school district. This week, he had his first science test of his school career with less than stellar results. I would have expected the results he got if he had not studied, but I studied with him. I made flash cards and made sure that he was prepared. I would have been satisfied if he was satisfied, but to see the look of disappointment on his face broke my heart. He knows he has the ability to do better and he wants better for himself.

I have spent the last few nights waking up in the middle of the night trying to figure out what to do with this. Do I lower my expectations? Does he have to lower his expectations? That thinking just does not sit well with me. I have a strong belief that you have to set a high bar and make every attempt to reach it. The issue is that Zack’s school district refuses to give him services based upon the fact that he is functioning at grade level.

When I met with the principal and assistant principal at the beginning of this year, I was ready for a fight. Now looking back, I feel like I was taken. They had me convinced that he was compensating well and did not need services; that his APD was mild and the classroom teacher would work with him.

Why do I allow people to make me question my own motivation; my own reality for that matter? My son’s struggle is there before me everyday. Why is it so hard for me to trust my gut and fight for what my son needs? I think that their feeling is that CAPD is not a learning disability. How long was it before ADD/ADHD caught on as a valid issue which required in-school services?

All this brings me back to when he was 2 ½. His pediatrician always told me that there was nothing wrong. I was the neurotic parent of a first born. His exact words were, “There are active children and very active children. You just have a very active one.” And I bought it; always deferring to the professional. What I did have was a child with a speech disorder and Sensory Integration Dysfunction. I was looking for a professional to tell me my gut feeling was right. Looking back, it is difficult not to knock myself for not trusting my gut; for not getting him help right away. We/he lost out on early intervention. But, I am trying to stay in the present moment.

So, six years later, here I am in that same position again.

While I was running and listening to my ipod, the song “Is Someone Getting the Best of You?” by the Foo Fighters came on. It made me think of the two meanings of the title. The meaning in the song for me is that the school district is getting the best of me (playing me for a fool). But, then, I thought about the other meaning it could have. Is my son getting the best that I have to offer?

My son deserves the best of me and he deserves someone not getting the best of me! He deserves the appropriate services to help him to deal with his Auditory Processing Disorder.

ON WITH THE FIGHT…

This entry was posted on 5:54 AM and is filed under ADD/ADHD , Auditory Processing , Learning Disability , Sensory Integration Dysfunction , Speech Disorder . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: