Creating and Maintaining a Peaceful Homelife while Coping with Learning Disabilities

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - - 4 Comments

I have to be honest. Before, my son was diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder and before I realized he had Sensory Integration Dysfuntion, my main coping mechanism was a glass of wine (or two, or three...). While that does sometimes still seem to work, I think it is good to keep a handy list of ways to cope when things get ugly. Come on, you know what I mean!



I actually keep a list of coping mechanism that work for me. So here they are:



*walking away for a few minutes (sometimes FAR away)

*long, deep breaths (if you hyperventilate and pass out, you can't hear the whining anymore)

*listening to music on my ipod (this is good for drowning out the whining too)

*yoga (10 minutes will do, but a full-hour is better-How indulgent!)

*walking/running (if you really need to get even further away)

*a quiet room with candles and a good book (Okay, now I am just delusional!-no one with children really gets to do this)

*blogging

*reading blogs that inspire me like http://www.thecoachshoppe.blogspot.com/



*reading celebrity blogs that make me laugh or take me out of my world for a bit like my favorite about John Mayer http://www.tryjm.blogspot.com/



side note: John Mayer is quite a gifted blogger himself, www.honeyee.com/johnmayer but I hear Jennifer Aniston has forbid him to blog about anything but music.


We all have our own coping mechanisms for dealing with the stress of CAPD/APD, ADD/ADHD, and learning disabilities, but how often do we use them? What are yours? Please click on the word "comments" above and share yours.

This entry was posted on 2:29 PM and is filed under ADD/ADHD , Auditory Processing Disorder , CAPD/APD , children , Coping , Jennifer Aniston , John Mayer , Learning Disability . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

DomestiGals said...

Hi CAPD Blogger,

Stumbled across your blog today and am really appreciating your honesty of what it's like to have a child with CAPD. I know what you mean -- drinking all those glasses of wine to deal with emotions really helps sometimes... or all the time.

Good luck to you! We're going to add you to our Blogroll!

The DomestiGals

CAPD Blogger said...

Thank you, Domestigals! I appreciate your comments!

Unknown said...

reading your blog has given me a new perspective on the struggles of learning disabilities, (or learning differences as my mom calls it). i am a thirty year old woman who has been coping with adhd/add since i was a child. through the years i have learned how to manage my learning differences. i am here to let you know we are all capable of greatness and expectation should never be less. we all learn, but some of us take a different road to achieve our goals. we all get to the same place. it might be more difficult and take longer but it will happen. with your strength and and unconditional support, your son will be great and he will thrive. for me the road was long and at times painful, but with the strength my mother has shown me i no longer think of myself as "stupid". i have always appreciated the roll my mom has played in my journey to success. reading your blog has given me a new perspective to my mothers emotional struggles over the years. i now see her position was in ways as hard as mine. your blog is important to both the person dealing with a child with the learning difference and person with the learning difference. keep blogging...............stay strong your son is lucky to have a mom who is so involved in this difficult time of his life. the honest nature of your blog is refreshing. your pretty funny too..heheheh..good luck

CAPD Blogger said...

Can't thank you enough for your comment and insight. Your comment inspires me to keep this up even when I have so many other things going on. It also made me cry and gives me great hope that my son will grow up to feel the way you do about your mom and be able to find success in life as you have.

Thank you, Donna!!!