Link between Learning Disabilities and Celiac Disease?

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - - 1 Comments

My son had his final session of the neuropsychological testing we are having done to see if he has any other learning disabilities. We were asked to give consent to having him tested for Celiac disease so that he can participate in a research study to see if there is any link between learning disabilities and the presence of Celiac disease. For those of you not familiar with celiac disease, it is an imflammatory condition of the small intestine, induced by gluten. Gluten is the protein found in wheat, barley, and rye.

Now this would seem quite routine to most, but it just blew me out of the water. I test negative for Celiac disease, but have a gluten intolerance. In other words, even though I test negative, I have all the same symptoms of a person with the disease right down to an autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis).

Could it be that just putting my son on a gluten-free diet will cure him of his learning disability? Could it be that simple? Or is the damage done? Do we get a do-over? Can we take a Mulligan (for all you golfers out there)? I am equally encouraged and confused. While a gluten-free diet is not easy, I am praying for this easy way out. I am praying for all of us that the answer will be that simple.

To find out more about celiac disease, visit www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

This entry was posted on 9:25 AM and is filed under autoimmune disease , Celiac disease , Hashimoto's thyroiditis , Learning Disability , research . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

Ravenhair007 said...

Only 3 days after I stopped Gluten in Timothy's diet, I got a note from his teacher remarking on what a major and positive change there had been in both behavior and attention. As we discussed it the next day, I mentioned that I had removed gluten from his diet. He noticed the difference too, it was like a fog lifted for him...it was no longer as difficult to pay attention and sit still. We are continuing to keep his diet gluten free to the extent possible.